12 Amazing Drinks beyond the Martini you can make with a Shaker
A shaker is a multipurpose tool. While it only serves one function, the sheer number of drinks you can make certainly puts the humble shaker to great use. Shaking is not a chore although some people make it seem that way. For you too it can become a chore if you keep churning out martinis. Martini is one of the most popular cocktails in the world. It is perhaps not the absolute winner among cocktails because there are hundreds of them and people have an array of preferences. Also, martini is not the only drink you can make with a shaker. Other than smoothies and blending juices to have a punch, you can make dozens of cocktails using a shaker.
Around the world, bartenders have made using a shaker cool and hip, hot and fascinating. Every bartender has a shaking face. While you may or may not be as good as your most favorite shaker but you can always spice up things at your home by trying some different cocktail recipes the next time you party. Here are some amazing drinks beyond the martini you can make with a shaker.
- Gimlet is a classic drink you can make with a shaker. You can use gin or vodka. Typically, it is 50ml of gin, a bit of lime cordial (15-25ml), a lime wedge and lots of ice. You take the ice in a mixing glass, pour in the gin and the lime cordial. Use the wedge after extracting the lime juice. Shake and you have your gimlet.
- You can make gin fizz with a shaker. You can use gin, rum or vodka. Many people use tequila as well. You need 50ml of gin, vodka or run, 25ml of lemon juice, 4ml of caster sugar and 100ml of soda, not flavored. You pull in all the ingredients excluding the soda into the shaker. Add as much ice as you prefer but be sure not to water down the drink. Shake till the shaker becomes very cold. Use a strain and fill up a tall cocktail glass. Use ice cubes if you want. Now add the soda. You have your gin fizz.
- Lime daiquiri is a drink you can make with a shaker. You need 50ml of aged rum, 12ml of lime juice and 10ml of sugar syrup. Use a stemmed cocktail glass for this drink. Pour the rum into the shaker, add ice, pour the juice and then the syrup. Shake it well and you have your lime daiquiri. You should have the cocktail glass cold so before you make the drink, place the glass in a freezer. Once you have made the drink, bring out the glass and strain the drink from the shaker.
- Margarita is a common and almost universally loved cocktail. You need 40ml of tequila. Since the quality of tequila determines the quality of the margarita, always opt for a good brand of tequila and not just any random or inexpensive bottle. You need 25ml of Cointreau and 30ml of fresh lime juice. You need a tumbler or martini glass. You must moisten the rim and then dip it in salt. The salt must be coarse. Put all the ingredients into a shaker and get shaking. Strain the drink into a glass.
- Mojito requires a shaker. You need 50ml of aged rum, five sprigs of mint, whatever amount of juice you can extract from one lime and two sugar cubes. Take all the ingredients into the shaker. Stir to get the sugar dissolved. Add ice and shake as much as you can till it gets cold. Strain the drink and add mint if you want.
- Planters’ punch is a classic and perhaps the best of all rum punches. You need 20ml of sugar syrup, 40ml of lemon juice, 60ml of Jamaican rum and some dashes of Angostura bitters. Take all the ingredients into the shaker. Add ice and shake as much as you can till it gets cold. Don’t strain the drink, pour it into two glasses and add soda. You may add cherries if you want.
- Singapore sling is one of the finest cocktails ever invented. You need 50ml of gin, 25ml of cherry brandy, 5ml of sugar syrup, whatever amount of juice you can extract from half a lime and a tinge of Angostura bitters. Take all the ingredients into the shaker. Add ice and shake as much as you can till it gets cold. Strain the drink and add soda.
- Whiskey sour can be made using scotch, rye or bourbon. Ideally, you should go for bourbon. Scotch is the last option you should have in your mind. Take 30ml of bourbon, 10ml of lemon juice, 5ml of caster sugar and you can use some orange slice or maraschino cherry if you want. Take all the ingredients into the shaker. Add ice and shake as much as you can till it gets cold. Strain the drink and add soda.
- Dark express is made with blackberries, a tinge of Cointreau, a bit of blackcurrant liqueur if you want and some champagne. You should not use more than five blackberries for one serving. Put all the ingredients in the shaker, add ice and go shaking. The fruit will get crushed and wait till the shaking makes the shaker cold. Strain and top the drink with champagne.
- Floridian is a hip cocktail you can make with a shaker. Take 25ml of lemon juice, 5ml of caster sugar, 60ml of orange vodka, 25ml of Cointreau or you may go with Triple Sec, two splashes of cranberry juice and two twists of orange peel. Let the sugar dissolve in the lemon juice. Take all the liquid ingredients into the shaker and add ice. Shake and strain. Use the twist of the orange peel as garnish.
- Momo special is a refreshing cocktail you can make with a shaker. You need a bit of fresh lint, 25ml of vodka of your choice but ideally the unflavored one, 12ml of lemon juice, 12ml of sugar syrup and soda. Pick the mint leaves from the stem. Put all ingredients in the shaker excluding soda and add ice. Shake and then add the soda after you pour the drink into a tall glass.
- You can make passion berry. You need vodka, preferably one of the finer ones. You need raspberry puree, a tinge of lemon juice, a bit of passion fruit syrup and some sugar syrup. Take all the ingredients in a shaker and add ice. Shake and pour into a cocktail glass. You can use a martini glass if you want.
Bonus Drinks to make with a Shaker
Make polish peach with vanilla vodka, grenadine and orange juice. You can make southern cooler using Southern Comfort, orange juice, lime and lime cordial. Stingray needs a shaker to mix Zubrowka, Goldwasser, sugar syrup, peach puree and apple juice. Make watermelon martini with seeded watermelon cubes and lemon vodka. Cosmopolitan requires a shaker and you can use vodka, Triple Sec, cranberry juice and lime juice. Sea breeze is another amazing cocktail made with vodka, cranberry juice and grapefruit juice. You can make southside using gin, lemon juice, sugar just to taste, fresh mint and soda if you want. Tom Collins is another amazing cocktail which you can make without using any alcohol. But then it would be a mocktail. Use gin, lemon juice, caster sugar and soda. You can also use lemon, maraschino or orange for garnish. Many use all three to garnish.
Note on Shaker Cocktail Recipes
Almost all cocktail recipes using a shaker require ice and you can use sugar, salt or other taste enhances depending on your preference. The ingredients that have been mentioned above have alternatives. You can choose according to what is available and what you can afford. The quantities for all ingredients can also be toyed with. Don’t opt for too much or too little alcohol in any recipe as that would either make a heavily concentrated cocktail or a watered down version of what it is supposed to be. When using a shaker, you want to dilute a drink or its alcohol content and not water down the drink. So it is important to not use too much ice but enough to make the drink cold. Avoid combining too many alcohols or liquors, especially contrasting ones or those that will interfere with the overall flavor and texture.